||LIM Ying Ying
||Department of Electrical, Electronic and Communication Engineering
||My background is interdisciplinary and covers the fields of electrical engineering and materials science. My research experience lie in semiconductor packaging, particularly in high frequency design, simulation and measurement of interconnects. I also have experience designing and integrating miniature antennas for RFID tagging applications. In addition, I have also conducted research in the area of flexible electronics to realize a myriad of applications targeted for the Internet of Things (IoT), where the dielectric characterization of materials and the surface modification of materials for fine line printing were investigated.
|Research Field(Keyword & Summary)
- (1) High frequency applications.
The design, simulation and characterization of interconnects and passives for high frequency applications on different packaging platforms, up to the millimeter-wave frequencies. This includes the modelling of printed traces (eg. via screen printing) up to 30 GHz, towards provide guidelines for the modelling of the RF performance of printed transmission lines .
- (2) Antenna design for RFID applications.
Antennas for RFID applications need to be flexible and compact in size, without significantly compromising on the antenna performance. Another import aspect of this research is in the design of antennas for metal surfaces to meet an increasing demand from the automotive, airplane and power station industries for tagging onto metal surfaces and performing smart maintenances.
- (3) Dielectric characterization of materials.
The dielectric properties of packaging substrates are often provided by manufacturers at a single frequency in the kHz or MHz range. However in order to use the substrate in the high frequency (gigahertz) range, it is important to characterize the dielectric properties of the substrate broadband.
- (4) Surface modification of materials.
Fabrics is a potential substrate for realizing wearable/flexible electronics. However it is challenging to print onto fabrics as it is porous and has surface roughness unlike film substrates such as polyimide. This research seeks to investigate surface treatments to modify the substrate surface and alleviate the surface roughness for printing.
- (1) Thin and flexible printed antenna designed for curved metal surfaces, Flexible and Printed Electronics, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 045001(1-14), 2021.
- (2) Hardness characteristics of Au cone-shaped bumps targeted for 3-D packaging applications, IEEE Transactions of Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 419-426, 2019.
- (3) 30-GHz high-frequency application of screen printed interconnects on an organic substrate, IEEE Transactions of Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, vol. 7, No. 9, pp. 1506-1515, 2017.
- (4) Surface modification of an ambient UV-cured dielectric to realise electrically conducting traces, Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 266, pp. 93-104, 2015.
- (5) Surface treatments for inkjet printing onto a PTFE-based substrate for high frequency applications, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 52, No. 33, pp. 11564-11574, 2013
- (6) Low-loss broadband package platform with surface passivation and TSV for wafer-level packaging of RF-MEMS devices, IEEE Transactions of Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 3, No. 9, pp. 1443 – 1452, 2013.
- (7) Process and reliability of embedded micro-wafer-level package (EMWLP) using low cure temperature dielectric material, IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 13-22, 2012.
- (8) High quality and low loss millimeter wave passives demonstrated to 77-GHz for SiP technologies using embedded wafer level packaging platform (EMWLP), IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 1061-1071, 2010.
- (9) Implementation of packaged integrated antenna with embedded front end for bluetooth applications,IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 558-567, 2008.
- (10) Simple and improved extraction of dielectric parameters of thin organic packaging materials using open-ended coaxial line technique, IEE Proceedings - Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 152, No. 4, pp. 214 – 220, 2005.
- (1) 橋野健,林瑛瑛, 仲川博,青柳昌宏,菊地克弥, 電子回路の接続方法及び電子回路 , JP2019021519, 出願日2019年5月30日
- (2)青柳昌宏,橋野健,林瑛瑛, 仲川博，菊地克弥，“微細金属バンプの形成方法及び微細金属バンプ”,特願2018-202844, 出願日2018年10月29日
- (3)Ka Fai Chang , Yong Han, David Soon Wee Ho, Ying Ying Lim, “Semiconductor package and method of forming the same”, US 20200185299 A1,filed 2020年6月11日
- (4)Teck Guan Lim, Ying Ying Lim, Yee Mong Khoo, Khan Oratti Kalandar Navas, Faxing Che, Ser Choong Chong, Soon Wee David Ho, Shan Gao, Rui Li, “A Wafer Level Package and a Method of Forming the Same”, SG183648A1, published 2012年9月27日
||(1) Third International Conference in Advanced Manufacturing for Multifunctional Miniaturised Devices (ICAM3D), Best Interactive Poster Award: 2014年8月28日
(2) 7th Electronics Packaging Technology Conference (EPTC), Outstanding Student Paper Award: 2006年12月7日
|Affiliated academic society (Membership type)
||IEEE(Senior member), JIEP(member)
|Education Field (Undergraduate level)
||Electrical and electronic engineering
|Education Field (Graduate level)
||Mechanical and manufacturing engineering, electrical engineering, materials science