||Kobayashi is currently engaged in environmental psychology research related to light, color, and human behavior, and nighttime urban development activities using light throughout the country. Lighting designs that have been carried out so far include floodlighting of Gokayama Gassho Village, lighting up of Yokohama Yamate Western Pavilion, nighttime landscape improvement in Kaneyama Town, Yamagata Prefecture, and Futako Tamagawa Rise winter environment production. Since the Great East Japan Earthquake in 2011, outdoor lighting research has been conducted to efficiently evacuate at night in an emergency.
|Research Field(Keyword & Summary)
- Energy efficient street lighting
Examining attributes of safe-feeling street lighting through experiments on scale models. One of the results was founded that intensity lighting could be reduced with good natural surveillance such as lights coming through windows.
- Lighting effects on human behavior
Conducting many field experiments to research human behavior in non-uniformly illuminated space. Especially, characteristics of conversational behaviors in offices, schools, cafes, and public spaces were investigated.
- 1) Shigeo KOBAYASHI and Masahide KAKUDATE: The Lighting Installation for Evacuation Guidance and the Outdoor Areas in Temporary Architecture Group District, Journal of Light & Visual Environment, vol.40, pp.36-45, 2016
- 2) Kobayashi Shigeo and Murakawa Kazutaka :The Experiments Giving Illuminations to the Street by Residents Participation, Journal of Light & Visual Environment, vol.37, No.2&3, pp.101-105, 2013.12
- 3) Shigeo Kobayashi, Masao Inui and Yoshiki Nakamura: Preferred Illuminance Non-uniformity of Interior Ambient Lighting, Journal of Light & Visual Environment, Vol.25 No.2, pp.64-75, 2001
- 4) Rikuo Muramatsu, Yoshiki Nakamura, Seitaroh Nakajima and Shigeo Kobayashi : Effects of House Exterior Lighting on the Evaluation of Lighting Environment on Nighttime Residential Streets, Journal of Light & Visual Environment, Vol.25, No.1, pp.60-65, 2001
- 5) Shigeo Kobayashi, Yoshiki Nakamura and Masao Inui : Impressions of Overall Brightness in a Non-Uniformly Illuminated Space, Journal of Light & Visual Environment, Vol.22, pp.34-41, 1998
||1) Best Paper Award of The 2014 International Conference on Sustainable Lighting and Light Pollution
2) 2008 IES Illumination Award of Merit
|Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research Support: Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS)
|Recruitment of research assistant(s)
|Education Field (Undergraduate level)
|Education Field (Graduate level)
||Architectural light environment, environmental psychology