||Katsuhisa Sakaguchi is conducting research in the field of regenerative tissue engineering, which is an interdisciplinary area that combines medicine, science, and engineering. His primary objective is to utilize bioengineering techniques to create three-dimensional tissues, thereby contributing to the resolution of medical and food-related challenges and paving the way for a new future society. His research interests revolve around the development of devices for mass cell expansion, vascular network perfusion devices for the construction of three-dimensional tissues, and devices for evaluating the quality of regenerated tissue.
|Research Field(Keyword & Summary)
- (1) Regenerative medicine
We are conducting research to create three-dimensional tissues and organs from stem cells. With this regenerated tissue, we aim to treat diseases that have been incurable until now.
- (2) Cell Based Food (Cultured Meat)
We aim to produce meat derived from cells. Food produced from cells is a product with reduced waste and lower environmental impact, targeting sustainable food production.
- (3) Bioreactor
To create regenerated transplantable tissues and cultured meat, we are developing a method for mass cell amplification and a perfusion device for constructing three-dimensional tissue organs.
- (1) In vitro fabrication of functional three-dimensional tissues with perfusable blood vessels, Nature Communications 4, 1399
- (2) Fabrication of functional three-dimensional tissues by stacking cell sheets in vitro, Nature Protocols 7, 5, 850-858
- (3) In vitro engineering of vascularized tissue surrogates, Scientific Reports 3, 1316
- (4) Construction of three-dimensional vascularized cardiac tissue with cell sheet engineering, Journal of Controlled Release 205, 83-88
- (5) Thicker three-dimensional tissue from a “symbiotic recycling system” combining mammalian cells and algae, Scientific Reports 7, 41594
- (6) Pulsatile tubular cardiac tissues fabricated by wrapping human iPS cells-derived cardiomyocyte sheets, Regenerative Therapy 11, 297-305
- (7) In Vitro Production of Human Ballooned Hepatocytes in a Cell Sheet-based Three-dimensional Model, Tissue Engineering Part A 26, 93-101
- (8) Vascularized tissue-engineered model for studying drug resistance in neuroblastoma, Theranostics 7, 17, 4099
- (9) Controlling shape and position of vascular formation in engineered tissues by arbitrary assembly of endothelial cells, Biofabrication 7, 4, 045006
- (10) Low-temperature culturing improves survival rate of tissue-engineered cardiac cell sheets, Biochemistry and Biophysics Reports 14, 89-97
- (1) Vascular network manufacturing method and vascular network manufacturing apparatus, #2023-038844
- (2) Method for producing the artificial liver tissue, #7100311
- (3) Method for producing layered cell sheet composition, layered cell sheet composition produced by method, and apparatus, #6923204
- (4) Method for producing the Endometrial-like tissue, #2020-130055
- (5) Cell dispersion method and cell dispersion device, #7064191
||(1) Bioengineering Conference, Outstanding Poster Presentation (2022)
(2) Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society – AP, Paper Contest Award (2021)
(3) Cell Sheet Engineering Innovation Forum, Excellence Award (2021)
|Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research Support: Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS)
|Research Grants/Projects including subsidies, donations, grants, etc.
|Recruitment of research assistant(s)
|Affiliated academic society (Membership type)
||(1) Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society (Member)
(2) Japanease Society for Regenerative Medicine (Member)
(3) Japanease Society for Artificial Organs (Member)
(4) Japanease Society for Medical and Biological Engineering (Member)
|Education Field (Undergraduate level)
||Physiology, Mechanical design
|Education Field (Graduate level)
||Tisuue and Organ engineering, Cell-based product design